Today’s Recycled Sock Craft Idea is for Handmade Cell Phone Accessories.
Just in time to DIY Mother’s Day Gifts: recycle your old (baby/toddler) sock into a beautiful cell phone pouch. Do you think you can’t do anything with old, single socks other than making sock monkeys?
Well, think again! Besides holding your (mom’s) cell phone, there is a side pocket for a key. Since you have 2 socks, why not make the other one for yourself and use it for your iPod, using the side pocket for your headsets.
Here’s the ‘how to’ for this Recycled Sock Craft.
Cellphone Accessory or Ipod Cosy – Materials Needed
- Old sock
- thread and needle
- a little strand of ribbon
- a couple of beads and charm
- 20 sequins
Step-by-step Tutorial on How to Make Your Ipod Cozy
This is a simple sew-by-hand project, that’s easy to take along and can be done while waiting in the doctor’s office or in similar ‘waiting’ situations.
1. Cut up your sock like in the picture on the right
2. Sew the bottom of your pouch (see line A in the picture on the left)
3. Sew on the ribbon on the top of the side pocket (see line B)
4. Sew the sides of the pouch to shape the cosy (see lines C)
5. Flip over the flap and sew the sides of the flap (see lines C)
6. Fold the rest of your ribbon into a bow and secure it with a sequin
7. Attach a charm behind the bow and secure the bow with charm onto the bottom of your cosy.
8. Take a new long thread and secure a dozen or so sequins onto the front of your cosy, randomly
9. Flip the cosy over and on the top of the sock, secure a couple of beads.
Tips to Make this Recycled Sock Craft Idea Great
Craft Tip 1. Beads are not just for prettiness: if the top of your sock is wide, your phone could slide out. To avoid this, you could use the bead as a closing button. Sew a tiny sock strip on the other side of the sock opening to close your cosy as needed.
Craft Tip 2. I prefer it to be as-is, but if you wish, you could simply sew on a strap along the sides of your cosy so it can hang on your neck or over your shoulder. Measure the desired length first before you cut your strap. I’d use a simple chocolate brown (leather) ribbon that would fit within the side pocket when not in use.
To find more Recycled Sock Craft Ideas and related creative ideas for sock art, recycling sock ideas, what to do with orphan socks, sock craft, reuse old socks, explore our tags.