Who said a doily has to be round? Want a heart instead & wonder how to cut a paper heart doily? Easy. Just do as you’d normally do with a circular paper doily.
Step-by-Step Paper Doily Making Tutorial
- Fold a rectangular piece of paper over (resulting 2 long rectangular blocks). Cut the outside of the paper into a half heart shape.
- Fold each flap over again (resulting in 4 blocks)
- And again (resulting in 8 blocks)
- And again (resulting in 16 blocks folded into a wedge) …..more steps after this tip:
If you have a tiny piece of paper, you probably will stop at 8 blocks. Larger paper can handle 16 blocks, allowing you to make a more detailed paper heart doily.
I did not flatten the doily 100% so as to show you all the folds that I’ve made.
5. Next, start cutting into the edges of your wedge. If you cut off the tip of your wedge, you’ll have an open circle into your center. If you cut a triangle in the side of your wedge, you’ll end up with a repetitive pattern of diamonds (2x a triangle). If you cut a 1/2 heart in the edge, you’ll get a pattern of little hearts, or half a flower and you’ll end up with rainbows of flowers. Etc.
This is the most creative part, and there is no end to the possibilities. I’ve noticed that there is a huge learning curve after experimentation, so go for it. See how the top and the bottom of the doily differ. Take advantage of the different lengths of paper that are within your folded wedge.
Meanwhile, realize that even a 6-year-old can create beautiful paper doilies by just ‘hacking at it’, so be sure that you’ll end up with something quite beautiful!!
Tip: if your doily turns out too plain to your liking, simply use a pair of sculpting craft scissors and create a sculpted edge to your heart. Instant solution.
6. Open up your doily, and you’re done.
You can use the doily to make a fancy Valentine Greeting card, or glue the heart onto a gift wrapped in bold red or pink. The contrast with the white will be nice.
Easy & fast craft, suitable for office doodlers, elementary school kids and home crafters.
Valentine Day Crafts – for Kids & Me
and for moms running out of time, I’ve added:
Free Downloadable Valentine Cards for Kids
Other Valentines Day Crafts
Love Book – Free Modern Scrapbooking Template
Valentines Day Crafts: Candy Boxes (video tutorial)
Handmade Scrapbooking Valentine Card – Envelop – Absolutely gorgeous! (see picture above)
Painting Real Heart Art For Valentines Day (originals now all sold, but still inspirational)