This free summer craft project idea of making a waterproof picnic blanket for the beach is part of a series here at Fine Craft Guild.com ,
This is what I should have made last week, but didn’t. Oh, well… Here is your craft project plan for a waterproof beach blanket.
I could have created and used a wonderful, waterproof picnic blanket, useful for camping, the beach, and lazing around in the garden at home after you’ve watered the grass or
… after the rainstorm is over and the sun is out again!
.. the Martha Stewart design team just reminded me.
“Don’t let yesterday’s rainstorm
dampen your picnic plans.”
photo here & below: martastewart.com
For this summer craft project, you could use a cotton or wool blanket, or as I prefer, 2 colorful large beach towels. There are several waterproof fabrics available, one of which is ripstop, a fabric that is also resistant to ripping. Look around at your local fabric shop, and hopefully you can find a better color match than the one in the pictures here…
Beach Blanket Sewing Instructions
1. Prewash all materials so that any potential shrinkage is dealt with.
2. If you use 2 beach towels, sew these together into one large square blanket first.
3. Cut the water repellent/water proof fabric to be 2 inches larger in each direction than your blanket. The 2 extra inches all around are to create a fold-over which looks nice and is easy to stitch.
4. Now you have 2 options: you can sew the fabric on permanently, or you can use velco or snaps to create a non-permanent attachment.
I prefer the non-permanent attachment, so that you can use the backing for more than one towel-set/blanket. And, unless you can find snaps on a tape, I’d use a few pieces of velcro along the outline of the blanket instead. Velco does not need to be placed as precisely as snaps, and this allows you to use the same backing for a couple of different blankets or sheets more easily.
Happy lounging… !
This summer craft project is easy to do, but if it’s too much work, …
… just order this ready-made
Hawaiian Waterproof Beach Blanket
Summer Beach Craft
1. How to Live in a Coastal Cottage (many miles from the ocean)
2. Summer Crafts: a Beach in a Pot
3. Waterproof Picnic Blanket for the Beach
4. How to Make a Shells-adorned Picture Frame
5. Bed Sheet with Beach Shell Print – Easy Home Craft