First day of Spring, let’s do something happy.
Make this Spring greeting card with a cute paper-cut butterfly, within minutes.
So simple to make,
so lovely to get.
- Fold a regular sheet of craft paper in 2, and again in two.
- Fold it back open and cut the paper in half. Now you have your card. Fold the crease a bit more firmly with either the back of a spoon or a special scrapbooking / card making device called a ‘ bone ‘.
- In a contrasting color (I used a color on the opposite side of the color wheel, aka purple versus yellow), cut out nearly square rectangle of about 2 inches long and 2.5 inches wide. Does not have to be exact.
- Fold the purple paper in half and imagine a butterfly shape, half of it that is. You can first draw it with a pencil onto the paper, or start cutting right away. I cut right away.
- Once you’ve cut the basic shape, fold over parts of the wings so you can make tiny cuts. A bit late in the design stage, I wanted to embrace heart cutouts, so with my heart cutout device, I make 2 hearts, one on either wing. If I’d thought of this earlier, perhaps I would have used a few more hearts, but this I didn’t, so it is what it is.
- Trim the outside of the butterfly a bit more to add more details and make it less boxy
- Fold the butterfly back and add glue from a simple glue stick on the center body of the butterfly and attach it to the card. Let it dry one minute and then start flapping up the butterfly wings.
More Butterfly Craft Ideas for Spring
- our butterfly craft overview page with about 20 different craft projects, designs & tutorials on it,
- our own butterfly mirror mosaic,
- the butterfly paper wall art, (which has a beautiful template you can USE for this greeting card project also)
- Recycled Garden Craft
- Simple desk calendar with butterflies
- how to make your own butterfly book cover,
- our unique zippy butterfly Fathers Day card, and
- many other butterfly craft ideas.