Today’s the 13th free quilting class with tips for beginners, guided by Janeen van Niekerk. We’re giving everyone two weeks more to catch up on finishing the first three quilting projects: the fussy cutting project, the ‘beginners quilt, or ‘miracle’ quilt as I call it, and the modern quilt or ‘pixel’ quilt, as Janeen calls it. So, today we’re going to study the language of quilting. We have created both a list with abbreviations and a glossary of quilting terms for you to familiarize yourself with.
The long list of quilting terminology is cut in half. Half this week, and the other half next week. We don’t want to overload you (wink).
Bonus Freebie: Quilt Glossary Reference Chart
Next week, as a reward for all your quilting study, I’ll be giving you a freebie: a pretty downloadable chart with nice patchwork borders and all the quilting terms explained. You’ll be able to laminate it and keep it with your quilting tools.
Terminology for our Quilting for Beginners Course
Glossary of Quilting Terms (A-M)
These terms are most often used by the quilters clan. Some of these quilting abbreviations are half-decent logical terms, but others are wicked and whimsical.
These acronyms enable you to read personal quilting blogs – most useful – but they don’t really teach you how to make a quilt.
So then, here are the most useful terms that beginning quilters should know.
Glossary of Quilting Terms, A to M
Also see: What is Insul-Bright – batting ?
That’s it for now. Next time quilting terms for beginners, N to Z.
Janeen van Niekerk, Quilting Instructor
How to Sew a Quilt – Quilting Workshops for Beginners
Want to begin sewing quilts with me? Join our free online quilting workshops, which you can take at your leisure, any time you want. Work at your own pace.
Free Quilting Patterns & Tutorials & Classes in this quilting course:
- Class #1: Fussy cutting ~ How to Make a Quilt: Free Quilting Beginners Class.
- Class #2: Quilting Tools – What you’ll need as a beginner.
- Class #3 : How to Choose & Work with Quilting Fabric.
- Class #4: How to Read & Work with a Quilt Pattern.
- Class #5: Creating a Finished Quilt Block .
- Class #6: How to Make Quilt Rows – from finished blocks.
- Class #7: How to add Borders to your quilt.
- Class #8 : How to finish a quilt: add backing, batting and how to bind a quilt.
- Class #9 : How to Make Quilt Blocks more Exciting.
- Class #10 : How to Make a Modern Lap Quilt.
- Class #11 : How to Make a Modern Lap Quilt, the next steps.
- Class #12: How to finish a Quilt :: Modern Lap Quilt.
- Class #13: Quilting Glossary with Quilt Sewing Terms for Beginners (A-M)
- Class #14: Quilting Glossary with Quilt Sewing Terms for Beginners (N-Z)
About Quilting Instructor Janeen van Niekerk
Our latest news of quilt making instructor Janeen van Niekerk is that she has just launched a brand new paper piecing magazine.
Quilt artist Janeen van Niekerk is an avid quilter. In particular, she’s an accomplished paper piecing designer. She does it all with a passion.
Janeen’s prolific range of hand-made quilts (she takes commissions for personalized, stylish portrait quilts), as well as her unique quilt patterns (think quilts featuring safari animals and trees, or kids toys) are inspired by her environs; she lives in sunny Pretoria in South Africa, with her husband and kids.
Janeen offers her quilts designs & paper piecing patterns for individual sale Out of Janeen’s 230+ quilt patterns for sale, these are my top 5 Paper Piecing Quilt Patterns, Animals and Flowers. All really beautiful!!
Quilting Pattern Library & Other Training Courses
The owl and all Janeen’s other patterns are for sale here at Craftsy. BTW. Crafty also has other quilting, sewing and other craft workshops, which I encourage you to check out, by clicking either the banner below, or the link above.
Or,… continue your journey with Quilting patterns, tutorials and ideas featured here at FineCraftGuild.com (beyond Janeen’s quilting course).