As promised last week in workshop #27 of this free quilting workshops for beginners – series, I’d post a tutorial for quilted leaf potholders today, free quilting workshop #28, to make beautiful quilted potholders that look unique and special, but are easy to make. You get to try making your own quilted potholders at no cost to you, as this is a free quilting pattern! After that, I’ve added two matching patterns for quilted leaf coasters and a quilted leaf table runner. None of these projects is too involved: you will be able to make the whole set just in time … to decorate your Thanksgiving table.
Quilted leaf Potholders
These quilted leaf potholders are confidence –builders!!
While they look so colorful, they really are a practice in lining up a two sets of strips of fabric, which don’t even have to be aligned evenly, and then, oh may, have your hand at adding a bias binding. And a tag. And that’s it. That’s all there is to making these beauties. Wanna try?
Here’s your quilted leaf potholder pattern: free download from Buttons and Butterflies.
Quilted Leaf Coasters
Taking it further, once you’ve made a couple of quilted potholders, perhaps you might like to complement this project with this set of simple quilted leaves that look really fun and whimsical. Use these quilted leaves as home décor or as coasters.
Find the pattern for the quilted leaf coaster here at Lori Miller Designs (small charge for this pattern).
Quilted Leaf Table runner
The beautiful pattern ‘Autumn Flight Table Runner’ is designed by Two Strings aka Karen Lee, from Lincoln, NE.
Then, if you wish to explore the quilted fall leaf theme even further, try quilting this autumn-themed table runner with a border of our flying geese quilt pattern all around it. It has a patterned quilted middle section that’s white and the lovely quilted leaves and acorns are appliqued on top. Yes, it looks advanced, but this table runner quilting pattern is still for beginners. Meaning… you can do it!
Get your quilted leaf table runner pattern: tablerunner (there’s a small charge for this pattern).
That’s it for today’s quilting workshop. As I mentioned before, we are now in the ‘beginners quilt projects’ phase of this ongoing series of quilting workshops for beginners. Join us from the beginning or join at any point in time by simply exploring the quilting topics that interest you. Enjoy!
Series of Free Online Quilting Workshops for Beginner Quilters
Quilting instructor Janeen van Niekerk made the designs and taught the first 25 of these workshops. If you want to see more of her work, have a look at some of my favorites quilt patterns of animals and flowers or her ‘pattern store’ with loads of free and paid quilt patterns.
List of Quilting Workshops
- Class #1: How to Make a Quilt: Free Quilting Beginner Class: Fussy cutting, a fun beginners quilt technique
- Class #2: Quilting Tools – What you’ll need as a beginner
- Class #3 : How to Choose & Work with Quilting Fabric
- Class #4: How to Read & Work with a Quilt Pattern.
- Class #5: Creating a Finished Quilt Block .
- Class #6: How to Make Quilt Rows – from finished blocks.
- Class #7: How to add Borders to your quilt
- Class #8 : How to finish a quilt: add backing, batting and how to bind a quilt
- Class #9 : How to Make Quilt Blocks more Exciting
- Class #10 : How to Make a Modern Lap Quilt.
- Class #11 :How to Make a Modern Lap Quilt, the next steps
- Class #12: How to finish a Quilt :: Modern Lap Quilt.
- Class #13: Quilting Glossary with Quilt Sewing Terms for Beginners A-K
- Class #14: Quilting Glossary with Quilt Sewing Terms for Beginners L-Z
- Class #15: Half Square Triangles Quilting Techniques– part 1
- Class #16: Half Square Triangles Quilting Techniques – part 2
- Class #17: Half Square Triangles Quilt Wall Art Project – part 3
- Class #18: Free Sampler Quilt Workshop – Introduction & Preparation
- Class #19: First Bock in the Sampler: Striped Frame Quilt Block – block #1 sampler pattern
- Class #20: How to Make a Log Cabin Quilt Block – block #2 in sampler
- Class #21: Greek Square Quilt Block Pattern & Workshop– Free pattern for block #3 in sampler quilt
- Class #22: Free Quilt Workshop + Hour Glass Block – Free Pattern #4
- Class #23: Whirlpool Block Pattern – block #5 in sampler
- Class #24: Domino Block Pattern – block #6 in sampler
- Class #25: Flying Geese Block Pattern – block #7 in sampler
- Class #26: 8 Pointed Start Block Pattern – block #8 in sampler
- Class #27: Hexagon Quilt Designs in Trivets Coasters and Potholders – a new series, starting today!
- Class #28: Quilted Leaf Potholders, Coasters & Tablerunner – beginners quilting workshop