When is Fathers Day? Tomorrow! Like baking? How about making him a batch of orange zest sugar cookies as DIY Fathers day gifts? He’s sure to love the ones that spell his name: DAD.
Cheery Orange Zest Sugar Cookies
Slightly tangy, melts in the mouth. Serve them with icing to brighten them up and make them extra-special. For Fathers day.
The Orange Zest Sugar Cookies Recipe Ingredients
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 60 g unsalted butter, diced + extra for greasing the oven trays / pans
- 60 g soft dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1/2 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of runny honey
For the optional icing:
- 225 g sieved icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
- step 1: preheat oven to 350 F | 180 C.
- step 2: sieve flour in bowl and rub butter into the flour to a crumble meal
- step 3: add sugar, orange zest, honey and egg to the batter and combine till a firm dough forms.
- step 4: with your hands, form a ball of dough and then transform that into a long log with a diameter of approx. 2 inch|5 cm.< Chill covered into the fridge for 1 –1.5 hrs., till firm.
- step 5: cut log into 20-22 slices and place on prepared baking sheet (* greased and lightly dusted with flour)
- step 6: bake for 7-9 minutes and let cool.
- step 7: mix sugar with orange juice till smooth.
- step 8: using a piping bag, design patterns with your icing onto your cookies.
recipe source: DK Children’s Cookbook
More Fathers day Ideas
For more, visit Fathers day Gifts: DIY fathers day gifts but also some ideas on what to buy, plus downloadable cards, gift tags, recipes, and loads of crafts and activity ideas for Father ‘s day.