Thinking of getting a new Kindle ? Well, I am.
And we will need a nicely padded Kindle cover from the moment that gadget will land in our mailbox. Reason being, that like all those electronic devices, it is fragile. Too fragile for kids hands, but too fragile for ‘goofy’-minds who are not paying enough attention and let the device slip out of their hands, several times.
To ensure that using this Kindle will be an all-around beautiful and happy experience, here is a sewing pattern for a beautiful, protective Kindle cover.
This kindle case is designed by Ashley who writes at Mommy (by day) Crafter (by night).
Our Quick 1,2,3 How to Make This
1. Measure your own Kindle L x W (the front) x H (the side). Consumer electronics tend to change dimensions model by model, version by version. For example, the latest model Kindle (Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display) measures 6.5" x 4.5" x 0.34".
2. Cut fabric:
a. case inside: 2 fabric pieces L x W + seam allowance of .5”
b. case outside: 1 fabric piece L x (2W + H) + seam allowance of .5”
c. inside: 1 batting piece L x (2W+H)
d.flap: fabric strip of about 2” x 3.5”
e. applique: whatever shape you cut from your fabric: 2x of fabric (with seam allowance), and 1x of batting (without seam allowance)
f: optional (something I would do): if you want to add an outside pocket (for the back), cut that to the size/shape that you want + seam allowance of of .5”.
3. Sew pieces together in order.
- 2 fat quarters of coordinating colors & designs. This is an ideal sewing project to make from remnant coordinating fabrics. Or purchase any quilting fabric, like a fat quarter bundle. Typically, a fat quarter is 18 x 22”. Learn more about FAT QUARTERS.
- Fusible Interfacing
- 4 strips of elastic cord (Ashley cut 2 hair elastics – how clever!!!)
- Small strip of Velcro.
photo credit | clear, illustrated tutorial: Mommy byday, Crafter bynight.
Alternative Kindle Cover Designs
In case you were looking for another style of Kindle Cover, here are 16 alternative Kindle case designs:
by Park house Love
- DIY Pouch-Style Kindle Cover: parkhouselove.com/2012/05/16/diy-kindle-touch-slip-case
- DIY Book-Style Kindle Cover: onepearlbutton.com/2009/10/tutorial-book-style-kindle-cover.html
- DIY Custom Fabric Kindle Case: thespottedfox.com/diy-projects/diy-kindle-case/
- DIY Custom Kindle Cover | Stand: chicaandjo.com/2009/09/03/make-a-custom-kindle-cover-case/
- DIY Kindle Cover (super-cute): sevensistersinchrist.blogspot.com/2011/09/cutest-diy-kindle-cover.html
- DIY Book And Sweater Kindle Sleeve: flickr.com/photos/travelistic/5115207442/in/pool-1510913@N20
- DIY Kindle Cover Of A Blazer And A Tie: selectiveperfectionism.blogspot.com/2011/10/diy-kindle-cover.html
- DIY Book Kindle Case: cozihome.blogspot.com/2011/02/kindle-case.html
- DIY Kindle Keeper: polkadotchair.com/2010/09/kindle-keeper-tutorial.html
- DIY Kindle Sleeve: happyintheinbetween.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-kindle-cover.html
- DIY Knitted Kindle Sock: redhatknitter.blogspot.com/2009/07/kindle-cover.html
- DIY Moleskine Kindle Case: dylanbeattie.blogspot.com/2011/09/moleskine-kindle-moleskindle.html
- DIY Patchwork Kindle Cover: frizzylizzie.blogspot.com/2011/02/patchwork-kindle-cover-tutorial.html
- DIY Wooden Kindle Case: instructables.com/id/Wood-Kindle-Case/
- DIY Zipped Kindle Cover: dixiemango.com/2011/09/zippered-kindle-cover-tutorial/
Other Great Patterns