You know, when I did my graduation thesis, one of my professors once said that if you want to become EXCELLENT at something, you have to do the same thing over and over again. Continue to want the same thing…
This inspirational quote comes to mind when I look at the work of Janeen van Niekerk, our weekly contributor who gives us a free quilting workshop every week. Today mark’s the 4th week in the quilt sampler workshop. Janeen presents the material on how to make a hourglass quilt block. I have to say that each week, the blocks get more and more beautiful.
The quote equally applies to Janeen’s own paper piecing quilt designs, which are completely unique and have moved from ‘good’ to ‘outstanding’ in just the short time I have known Janeen. I have added a few new paper piece designs by Janeen at the end of this article for your enjoyment. So you can see what I mean. Now, be encouraged by Janeen’s own progress and let’s move your quilting skills from good to great also. Here’s block #4 in our sampler quilt. Do join in and quilt along!
– Hourglass Quilt Block –
Free Online Quilting Workshop
Here’s Janeen’s post for this week:
Tips for Quilting Beginners – Workshop Series
Sampler Quilt – Week 4
The Hour Glass Block
This is more of a variation on the Hour Glass block. The block is divided into 4 squares and each opposite side has a Four Patch or Four Square and then the Hour Glass as well.
These are really traditional blocks and although simple to make, still remain popular. Use more modern fabrics to give these blocks a lift, or use more ‘traditional’ small flowery fabrics to keep with the old timey look.
(Photo 1 & 1A)
You can see that this block has only an A and B type block to it. Really simple.
Your combined 4 A blocks must be the same measurement as your B block.
Cutting Your Quilt Fabric
For the A blocks
You will need 3 different color fabrics (Photo 2)
White fabric: Cut a 3” (7.6cm) strip and cut from it 4 x 3” squares
Orange fabric: cut a 3” (7.6cm) strip and cut from it 2 x 3” squares
Yellow fabric: cut a 3”(7.6cm) strip and cut from it 2 x 3” squares.
For the B blocks
We will be making 2 Half square triangles for the B block
Cut 1 square 7” (17.8cm) big – green fabric
Cut 1 square 7” (17.8cm) big – white fabric.
Hour Glass Quilt Block Pattern Sewing Instructions
- Join the squares in rows and then sew the rows together to get 2 A blocks completed.
The Four square blocks measure 5 7/8” square. (Photo 3)
- For the B block – Place the 2 blocks onto each other with right sides facing.
- Draw a diagonal line down the center of the white block. (Photo 3A)
- Sew on each side of the line with a ¼” seam. (Photo 3B)
- Now cut the block in half on the drawn line. You have 2 triangles.
- Open them up to reveal 2 half square triangle blocks.
- Now you need to trim down these B blocks to measure 5 7/8 ”.
Join the A and B blocks in rows and then sew the rows together.
You can press your seam at the back ‘open’ to eliminate having too much bulk on one of the sides of your block. (Photo 5)
This is your un-finished Hour Glass Block (10,5” – 26,5cm) (Photo 6).
I hope you enjoyed making this block.
Till next time,
Janeen van Niekerk, Quilting Instructor
Quilt Art Design
About Quilting Instructor Janeen van Niekerk
…. and her unique quilting and paper piecing patterns
Quilt artist Janeen van Niekerk is an avid quilter. In particular, she’s an accomplished paper piecing designer. She does it all with a passion. Our latest news of quilt making instructor Janeen van Niekerk is that she has just launched a brand new paper piecing magazine.
Janeen’s prolific range of hand-made quilts (she takes commissions for personalized, stylish portrait quilts), as well as her unique quilt patterns (think quilts featuring safari animals and trees, or kids toys) are inspired by her environs; she lives in sunny Pretoria in South Africa, with her husband and kids.
Janeen offers her quilts designs & paper piecing patterns for individual sale Out of Janeen’s 230+ quilt patterns for sale, these are my top 5 Paper Piecing Quilt Patterns, Animals and Flowers. All really beautiful!!
Janeen van Niekerk (spelled by some as Janine van Niekerk) is also part of the Free Block of the Month -club, offering a free paper piecing quilt block pattern, each month. Check it out here:
Quilting Pattern Library & Other Training Courses
This gorgeous owl quilt pattern is both included in one of Janeen’s books as well as being available for individual sale. Don’t you just love this quilt design? This owl quilt pattern has been one of my favorite animal quilt patterns.
However, my latest crush is on her awe-inspiring eagle quilt pattern. See close-up picture here.. This majestic eagle mini quilt is one quilt block. It is part of Janeen’s beautiful birds – themed blocks, most of which you can find on my animal quilt patterns page. While this eagle pattern is really easy to put together, it is meant for an intermediate level paper-piecing quilter.
And then, there’s Janeen’s pelican paper piecing pattern which I have been eyeing for a long time…Be sure to check out the pelican quilt pattern too…
Which is your favorite paper piecing pattern?
The eagle, owl, pelican, and all Janeen’s other patterns are for sale here at Craftsy. BTW. Crafty also has other quilting, sewing and other craft workshops, which I encourage you to check out, by clicking either this Craftsy image below, or the link above.
How to Sew a Quilt – Quilting Workshops for Beginners
Want to begin sewing quilts with me? Join our free online quilting workshops, which you can take at your leisure, any time you want. Work at your own pace.
Free Quilting Patterns & Tutorials & Classes in this quilting course:
- Class #1: Fussy cutting ~ How to Make a Quilt: Free Quilting Beginners Class.
- Class #2: Quilting Tools – What you’ll need as a beginner.
- Class #3 : How to Choose & Work with Quilting Fabric.
- Class #4: How to Read & Work with a Quilt Pattern.
- Class #5: Creating a Finished Quilt Block .
- Class #6: How to Make Quilt Rows – from finished blocks.
- Class #7: How to add Borders to your quilt.
- Class #8 : How to finish a quilt: add backing, batting and how to bind a quilt.
- Class #9 : How to Make Quilt Blocks more Exciting.
- Class #10 : How to Make a Modern Lap Quilt.
- Class #11 : How to Make a Modern Lap Quilt, the next steps.
- Class #12: How to finish a Quilt :: Modern Lap Quilt.
- Class #13/14: Quilting Glossary with Quilt Sewing Terms for Beginners
- Class #15: Half Square Triangles Quilting Techniques – part 1
- Class #16: Half Square Triangles Quilting Techniques – part 2
- Class #17: Half Square Triangles Quilt Wall Art Project – part 3
- Class #18: Free Sampler Quilt Workshop – intro
- Class #19: First Bock in the Sampler: Striped Frame Quilt Block – block 1
- Class #20: How to Make a Log Cabin Quilt Block – block 2
- Class #21: Greek Square Quilt Block Pattern & Workshop – Free – 3
- Class #22: Free Quilt Workshop + Hour Glass Block – Free Pattern 4
Or, … continue your journey with Quilting patterns, tutorials and ideas featured here at FineCraftGuild.com (beyond Janeen’s quilting course).