Contemporary, practical, feminine. A basket like a woman architect would design it. And we love it too. Let’s learn to make these exquisite felt rose bud baskets!
How to Make this Felt Basket
The picture is self-explanatory, isn’t it? … But some tips might be useful.
My Tips on Making Your Own Basket
1. KISS: keep this real simple, but experiment! E.g.
- Vary sizes
- Vary color. Try this in the 2012 color of the year, ‘Tangerine Tango’ (orange/red).
- Vary materials. Remake in thin felt and embellish with embroidery.
- Vary function. Don’t only use this as a knitting basket. Think desk accessories, think key basket, think iPod accessory holder, think potpourri holder…
- Vary ‘the look’. Pair with other fabric (origami) hexagon baskets with rose print. I can see these lovely Japanese kimono silk baskets in my mind’s eye.
2. DESIGN TIP: If you want to open/close this basket, secure hidden snaps on the inside of the rose petals instead of glue dots.
Ryan from the Blooming Thread designed this basket. She also sets out a few tips for this DIY felt basket on her blog. Turns out that Ryan is not an architect, but one who stitches flowers wherever she goes. What I like best at Ryan’s blog is her sign at the bottom of the page which reads ‘Always Radiate Sunshine’. I’ve never met Ryan, but I’m guessing that this would sum her up. Love her rose craft.
Image source: Ryan/Blooming Thread.
Learn More about Felt
All kind of FELT projects (most with tutorials, some even with video)
Be sure to also my recent article about which felt to use for what.