New York City
Sept. 12-13th, 2009
We all know New York FASHION Week is ON NOW. However, FashionCamp NYC 2009 is something special and not as well known…. let me explain and you’ll know if you should pack your bags for the Big Apple today….
It is a two-day open conference in New York City on September 12th and 13th, 2009, ie. this coming weekend, that brings together the mainstream fashion community, the independent & vintage fashion community, and the next wave of wearable technologists for workshops and presentations.
Fashion-lovers from all over the fashion-map come together to talk about the future of fashion in a relaxed environment. It follows the format of a “barcamp”, a popular event in the tech community where people get together to share what they think is cool and to network.
Its goal is to discuss how online technologies are shaping fashion in the 21st century. FashionCamp is the first large event to bring together disparate parts of the fashion ecosystem to discuss and explore the intersection of fashion and technology. Over two days, fashion professionals, designers, innovators and fashion-lovers will teach and converse about the future of fashion; exploring emerging questions through workshops and presentations. FashionCampNY is organized as an “unconference” or “barcamp” — a participant-driven conference where fashion enthusiasts convene to share and learn in an open environment. Discussions, demos and open participatory workshops are attended — and run — by the participants! This is an open, collaborative environment and there is no fee to attend.
Sessions at barcamp are traditionally informal and unstructured, but that doesn’t mean they’re unplanned. Anyone can present, and its a great way to share what you’re passionate about. The best sessions usually teach something new or engender great conversation.
Fashioncamp sessions can either be a person or two speaking on a topic (“How New Textile Technology Will Affect the Runway”), a panel of a few people addressing some question (“Will New Textile Tech Really Change the Runway?”), or a hands-on “how-to” workshop ranging from “how to crochet” to “setting up a blog for your fashion business” to “How to Make a Simple Garment Using This Fancy New Textile”.
FashionCamp Topics You Can Expect
- 1. Techniques for Fashion & Social Media – how to use social media in the fashion world
- 2. Green & Eco-friendly Fashion – from fabrics made out of recycled bottles to new distribution models to giving clothes a new life as vintage–how can fashion be more eco-friendly? (THIS IS WHERE i WOULD TO GO)
- 3. “How to sell online” e-commerce solutions – How’s a young designer to get their product to market? Learn about various e-commerce solutions that are suitable for the fashion world.
- 4. PROBABLY NOT HAPPENING – WORKSHOP: silk-screening fun – Bring a garmet and lay down some paint! It would be great if we could get conductive ink and make this part of a soft-circuit project.
- 5. Great Outfit Photos – Many fashion bloggers take great outfit photos – and they do it by themselves! Learn from the pros on how to take the best shots, showcase your style and become a style icon yourself.
- 6. WORKSHOP: “Hello World” for Soft Circuits (aka “LED soldering fun”)- Do you have an idea for a light-up garment, maybe a hoodie with a glowing hood or a T-shirt with your name in lights? This will be a very basic intro to soft circuits. Participants will bring a garment and sew LEDs, a battery, and conductive thread into the garment so the LEDs light up! No tec… More
- 7. How to Date Vintage Pieces – Accurately dating vintage pieces is a valuable skill. Learn tips and tricks from the masters!
- 8.Site design, purpose, usability and how to measure results – Many designers present web solutions are equivalent to the stores cash register! Indie designers are particular on how there “store” offline is laid out! what are there needs to extend this online, what about usability, desired results and exactly how do we measure success!
- 9. Best Strategies for Building Relationships with Fashion Editors – What new strategies can young Fashion Designers apply to building relationships with Fashion Editors? It’s become harder to gain media recognition in the popular publications from runway shows by young designers.
It’s for you? OK! You can register for New York Fashion Camp online: rsvp.fashioncamp.org