Recycle & Be Creative!
Make some fabulous DIY bath rugs! You are actually doing something back for Mother Earth with this eco-friendly home-decorating craft. And you’ll end up with a luxurious rug to adorn your bathroom.
Towel Bath Rugs
Give old towels a second life by knotting them into super-soft, eco-chic bath rugs.
Find your tutorial on ‘How to make shag rugs like this’ below the sponsor ads.
Most Home Decor/Craft Projects too Daunting?
Improve your Creative Skills with these great Courses
How-to Instructions for Handmade Towel Bath Rugs
OK then. Here’s the step-by-step tutorial:
STEP 1. First, wash and dry the towels you’ll be using for your rug.
STEP 2. Decide how big you want your bath rug or rugs to be by measuring the dimensions on the floor, e.g.. in from of your shower recess, as shown here.
STEP 3. Purchase gridded matting also called ‘Latch rug canvas‘ and cut it to those dimensions. This usually sits under floor rugs to avoid slipping and is also called ‘rug canvas’ or ‘anti-slip mat’.
I received inquiries as to where to find a base for these rugs. Here is one solution: Blank Latch Rug Canvas With Grid. This rug canvas measures 36”x60” is only $7.50. If you prefer, here is a smaller size: 24 ”x 30 ” rug canvas. Or, just check out the first link here, which gives you a whole range of mats and rug – bases.
STEP 4. Cut the towels into strips of approx. 3/4” thick, and then cut the strips into 5-6” long pieces. If you do this, you will need 2-3 old bath towels for a rug sized 18 inches by 2 feet.
STEP 5. Knot each strip along the grid, ensuring they all face the same way.
Tip: for a thick, full mat, knot along every line. For a thinner mat, knot along every other line.
It’s an easy to do project that require little concentration. It may take you a while but it will be worth it once you’re finished with your eco-chic bathroom mat.
Budget: nil, and your old towels have a nice new use.
Video Tutorial on How to Knot Your Own Earth Friendly Bath Rugs
That was the written tutorial. Here’s the video demonstration.
FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS + CARE TIPS
Please everyone, visit this page ** RUGS ** . It has loads of further instructions. It answers all the questions in the ’000s of emails that I’ve received about these recycled towel bathroom mats. You will find all the answers on how to make rugs like this one featured above.
Other Earth Friendly Projects
Other area rugs, floor mats & flooring projects
- Check out these rug-making patterns, instructions & tips:
- DIY pompom rug pattern– Fabulous DIY kitchen, fireplace, bedroom or bathroom rug. No need to knit, crochet or weave. Just Make pompoms! Adorable. ~ NEW
- DIY Cork Floor Mat for the mudroom to put your wet boots on… (as featured in Huffington Post)
- How to Weave a (Table) Rug (easy and fast project; can be done w finger knitting or recycled fabric)
- Make Your Own Ruffle Rug from Old t-Shirts (variation on the recycled towel mat)
- How to Make Rugs from Recycled knitted Cabled Sweaters (easy & superfast DIY project)
- Rugs for Kids Bedrooms and Play rooms (travel themed, sporty or romantic … you pick!)
- Contemporary ‘grass’ Rugs, to knit or crochet. Soft on feet; see image; made from knitting yarn. Green yarn makes fun faux grass, but in white you could make a more durable version of this towel bath mat.
- Contemporary Handmade Crochet Area Rugs – original ideas for other crochet rugs. A look-book.
- And More Modern Rugs.
If you like the white towel bathroom rug, share it and LIKE us on Facebook and FOLLOW ON Pinterest or Google+