Here’s a designer ottoman DIY project for you, ’cause this project is just too good to be left alone. Look at this. Here are two ‘identical’ ottomans. One costs $1650 + tax + shipping + surcharge. The other costs $12. Which do you want? Can you tell the difference??
image credit | tutorial | source: FeralTurtle.com
The incredibly low price for this homemade piece of furniture is the use of recycled materials. Yep, your read that right, that is basically what this is: recycled furniture. I know, it sure does not look like a piece of old scrap! Ha ha!! I just adore this ottoman and this Saks Fifth Avenue-hack!!
Materials Needed for your Round, Upholstered Ottoman
OK. I will tell you the secret: the ottoman made by Feral Tutle is the first ottoman of the two. And this is what she made her ottoman with:
It is made from:
- 14” worth of scrap sono-tube,
- 4 recycled furniture legs painted black/white checkers, epoxy glue + nuts and bolts.
- 2 round pieces of leftover melamine or an old cabinet door,
- 3 pieces of wood: 2 x 2 x 12.5”, a couple of screws,
- a stretch of batting, a stapler to tag it onto the sono-tube,
- a round piece of recycled foam,
- fabric for the ottoman sides and top,
- 18 upholstery tacks + 18 buttons you can cover with fabric, hot glue.
- Now, if you want to make an ottoman just like this one, you can find out how Feral Turtle made it on her blog. It’s a complete, well-illustrated tutorial. Go to it! Good luck. It’s a well-worth DIY furniture project in our minds.
About Saks Fifth Avenue’s Ottoman
This one is a classic sold at Saks 5th Avenue. It combines its flagship MacKenzie-Childs’ signature Courtly Check-pattern with ticking stripes. This elegant ottoman features an eco-friendly frame of sustainably harvested hardwood and eight-way, hand-tied coil construction for outstanding comfort. It has antique brass nail-head trim and caster-ed legs; an eco-friendly hardwood frame; weights 32 lbs. and its size is 20"H X 20" diameter. $1650 + tax + shipping + size/weight surcharge.
More DIY Ottoman Tutorials
DIY Upholstered Ottoman w Storage
Upholstered X-frame Ottoman
Elegant tartan DIY Ottoman
Tutorial incl. Frame