On a hot summer afternoon, you are likely to find Italians order cold coffee in their local coffee bars. This is not ‘day-old stale stuff’ but rather made fresh with the good stuff earlier in the day. It’s delicious. Meanwhile, us North American folks tend to prefer a nice ice-cream or a popsicle on hot summer days.
Therefore, on this mid-summer day, I am sharing a recipe you can use for both: chilled coffee drinks and popsicles.
Caffe Latte Popsicle Recipe =
Chilled Summer Coffee Drink
- 6 espressos *
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup milk
- sugar/sweetener to taste.
Coffee Cup to Popsicle – Conversion
- each espresso is 1 oz.,
- a coffee cup to 5 oz.
- so you should get 1 1/5 of a coffee cup full.
1. While coffee is hot, pour in the cream.
2. Add milk and sugar/sweetener to taste. If you like your coffee strong (like a caffe macchiato), than add just 1/2 a cup of milk. Caffe latte fans are advised to add a bit more milk. Realize that popsicles need a bit of sweetness for flavor (to actually taste like a popsicle). So even if your drink your coffee without sugar, do add some sugar to this recipe.
3. Place mixture in the fridge to cool. When cool, divide over 6 popsicles forms and place in freezer. Serve frozen.
Chilled Summer Coffee
Particularly if you add extra milk to make your coffee more like a latte, you will have leftover. Save this in the fridge for a mid-afternoon chilled coffee drink! Serve in a snaps glass. Verrrry Italian!
note: photo adapted from dailywaffle.com