June 7 – update: Here are two more fabulous vertical vegetable gardening ideas. I took these photos a while back, and I thought to let you feast your eyes on them, just in time for the weekend. So that when you go to that garage sale over the weekend, you’ll pick up just the right number of teapots, to hang your own geraniums, or herbs, or hang tomatoes in a celebrating vertical vegetable garden that was unheard of just a month before!
That’s it for the update. The prior article:
Last weekend, I was just browsing around for vertical vegetable gardening ideas. Encouraged by how well my own veggies are taking root and growing, more vertical vegetable garden ideas are needed!!! I want to grow more veggies!
It is no wonder that Vertical gardening has become so popular
and last but not least,
Today I’m sharing another handful of vertical vegetable garden ideas with you. They are quite diverse. I am sure that one or perhaps several ideas will suit your garden/balcony gardening situation:
- If you have land, consider that cucumber trellis!!!
- If you have just a veggy garden bed, consider that tomato trellis / wall extension of your bed.
- If you lots of land consider that gorgeous gourd canopy.
- If you are a balcony healthy organic vegetable growing ‘activist’ that try out the mesh hanging basket to grow an assortment of vegetables and herbs. It is so cute and which has excellent drainage!
Here they are, in no particular order of favor.
Great way to recycle some unused kitchen utensils and tools. Go find your old strainers from the back of your kitchen cabinets, or do the rounds at garage sales. Fabulous in the garden as a vertical garden holder. Well, perhaps this IS my favorite idea then…. Love it!
‘Skyscraper’ Trellis for a Vertical Tomato Garden
You might have seen this picture on Pinterest, and well, it sure does look like a fantastic wall system. Of course, you can grow any kind of vegetables that can climb along a trellis. What is nice about this particular garden trellis, is that it comes as a kit. And that it is sturdy enough to grow rather heavy vegetable plants. If you do as good a job as the gardener in the picture, you’ll have many, many pounds of tomatoes hanging on there! Here’s where you get the trellis kit: Space Saving, Vertical, Organic Vegetable, Sky Scraper Gardening System.
Vegetable Plot Extension Wall – Trellis
I came across another system, with perhaps less of a striking Pinterest-worthy picture. This system gets better reviews in Amazon and is significantly cheaper. It is less than half the cost of the other vertical vegetable garden trellis kit above.
This trellis is perfect to grow tomatoes, pole beans, cucumbers, as well as any vining plants. It is an easy-to-assemble kit for a 4′ x 6′ reusable trellis that grows vertically vining plants either against a wall, or as a free-standing unit using your own posts. The unit takes up just four square feet of growing space but produces more vegetation than a 24 square foot plot! No planter nor planting bed is included. You put this trellis into your soil.
You can buy this system here:
Frame-It-All Veggie Wall Expandable Stainless Steel Trellis System.
Anyhow, check both out and pick what suits.
These are not vegetables but could be vegetables. It’s a gorgeous design. Of course, by a landscape architect. Leave it to them to make your garden functional and pretty!
This is a DIY project plan for a vegetable garden trellis, with tutorial, wood shopping list and all. It is a rose aka vegetable garden trellis. In my mind, this gardening trellis is so pretty! Your gourds as well as here climbing roses will love this pretty trellis. It is also very sturdy. It has a structural look to it.
What’s not to love!? Yes, perhaps the elbow grease required to pull this project off might be beyond the scope of some. Try it at least. You can always ask a husband, neighbor, best friend, that handy girl around the girl to come help you.
as shading for Adjacent Vegetable Bed:
This cucumber trellis, when tilted rather than upright, can provide shade for shade-needing vegetables underneath the trellis.
Vertical Vegetable Garden with Pumpkins, Gourds & Kumquats
This vertical vegetable garden of gourds and pumpkins is just gorgeous! A sheer oasis, where I would love to grow my vegetables. Who would not want to have a fairy party under this exquisite canopy of healthy vegetables ??!! Perhaps hang a mosquito net under the vegetables just to avoid them falling by accident onto anyone’s head?
This awesome vertical garden with hanging pumpkins is in Taiwan.
Included in this life changing eBook are:
- 105+ Natural Home Remedies -treat almost any illness with natural ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- 75+ Natural Beauty Recipes – Get the best hair and skin you’ve ever had and look younger with these insanely clever natural beauty recipes.
- 35+ DIY Household Products & Cleaners – Never buy a toxic cleaning product again! Save a fortune AND your families health with these super simple homemade cleaning products that work BETTER than store bought!
Other Horizontal Gardening, Vertical Gardening, Garden & Outdoor DIY projects
Have a look at some of our other plant and garden projects:
- Be sure to read out other vertical vegetable garden how-to tutorial (with video) which explains how to recycle plastic bottles and make your hanging vertical vegetable garden, that’ so amazingly perfect, it can even be hung indoors. Go check it out!
- Recycled Bottles DIY Sub-Irrigation System
- How to Make a Topiary
- How to Make Succulent Wreaths
- How to Make a Rustic Garden Bench
- How to Landscape with Grasses (even in Pots)
- Cool DIY Fence from Recycled Corrugated Iron
- Succulent Garden in Recycled Small Kid Shoe (see photo)
- DIY Cool Outdoor Shower
- Free Sewing Pattern for a Quilted Gardeners Tote Bag
- How to Make Your Own Tire Swing